Documentation for SMFM sen2mosaic¶
This is a set of tools to aid in the production of large-scale cloud-free seasonal mosaic products from Sentinel-2 data.
Building cloud-free mosaics of Sentinel-2 data for land cover mapping is difficult, with existing tools still under-development and hard to use. The goal of these tools to streamline this processing chain with a set of straightforward command line tools.
This repository contains four command-line based scripts to perform the following tasks:
- Downloading Sentinel-2 data from the Copernicus Open Access Hub for a particular tile, specifying date ranges and degrees of cloud cover. This is based on the Sentinelsat utility.
- Executing the sen2cor tool to perform atmospheric correction, and performing simple improvements to its cloud mask.
- Mosaicking cloud-free Sentinel-2 pixels from .SAFE files into larger GeoTIFF files that are suitable for image classification.
How do I get set up?¶
These tools are written in Python for use in Linux. You will need to have first successfully installed the following:
- Sentinelhub: A library for searching and downloading Sentinel-2 products.
- Sen2cor: Atmospheric correction and cloud masking for Sentinel-2.
The sen2cor tool is built around the Anaconda distribution of Python. The modules used in these scripts are all available in Anaconda Python.
We have also developed a very similar tool to produce mosaics of Sentinel-1 C-band radar backscatter data. See sen1mosaic.
- 1. Setup instructions
- 2. Command line tools
- 3. Worked example on the command line
- 4. Using sen2mosaic in Python